[ENG] VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT - Programme Assistant (G5)
DEADLINE: 20 April 2017
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The WHO Country Office is an integral part of the WHO Regional Office for Europe. Its main role is to facilitate and coordinate all WHO activities at country level. This is done through facilitating the strategic cooperation with the government and the implementation of the Country Cooperation Strategy and Biennial Collaborative Agreement and the corresponding work plan. WHO assists the country to strengthen its health system and provides technical support as necessary.The WHO country office administers, consolidates, manages and enhances WHO collaboration in the country including all resources deployed in the country either permanently or temporarily to maximize WHO impact. The Country Office has a representational, fund-raising and resource steering function, as needed.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
1. Drafts correspondence and documents based on written/verbal prompts from the Professional staff of the unit. Independently composes and finalizes correspondence of administrative nature. Revises unit correspondence, reports, and documents for proper form and (non-technical) content. Provides rough translation or synopsis of incoming mail, and drafts from standard texts and phrases outgoing correspondence in a second working language. Takes notes at meetings. Types reports and other documentation. Arranges duty travel.
2. Scans, records, refers and follows up correspondence and documents, evaluates the urgency or critical nature of items, and brings them to the attention of the responsible staff. Informs and reminds responsible staff of follow-up dates and deadlines for response or specific actions, supplying supporting material as appropriate.
3. Using GSM, monitors aspects of the implementation of activities and availability of funds for project/programme budget levels and financial expenditures, according to the approved projects. Assembles draft background for planning, monitoring and evaluation exercises. Inputs duty travel recommendations and issues reminders re follow up, records project/programme monitoring and evaluation notes.
4. Makes administrative arrangements for country and inter country activities including preparation of various committal documents related to procurement of goods and services, arrangements of study tours and duty travel in accordance with the approved programme budget/collaborative programmes with countries.
5. Assists in the organization of meetings held in-house or in Member States (working groups, seminars/courses, workshops, and symposia), i.e.: makes administrative preparations, including organization of practical local arrangements, advance transport of documents/equipment and hospitality. Provides administrative and secretarial support during the meetings, and pays per diem to participants if required. Prepares administrative reports.
6. Establishes and maintains the unit's filing system of technical documents and correspondence. Creates background files and compiles reference material as appropriate. Accesses and retrieves information from relevant databases and updates as required.
7. Responds to and acts on telephone enquiries. Assesses the critical nature of technical enquiries and refers them to appropriate staff for reply. Coordinates appointments for supervisor and organizes programmes for visitors.8. Provides briefing and guidance to all staff on general office practices and procedures; assists/replaces colleagues in the team and performs other related duties as required.
Essential: Completion of secondary school or equivalent.
Desirable: Relevant higher education from an accredited institution.
Essential: At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the secretarial/administrative field , including one year's experience in an international environment such as: WHO/UN, governmental/public, intergovernmental organizations and/or non-governmental organizations.
Desirable: Bookkeeping experience (minimum 1 year) is desirable. Experience within UN and/or WHO or international agencies/organizations
Proficiency in the use of standard office computer software, note taking and operation of computerised systems and databases.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Local (Russian).
Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of other WHO/EURO languages.
WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at RUB 1,011,801 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
In order to apply for the position candidates should register on the WHO recruitment portal http://www.who.int/careers/en/
The position's ID number is 1700566.